This is a collection of 30 inspiring quotes about forgiveness in marriage. Every marriage is unique and can’t be compared to another, but forgiveness is required for the survival of any marriage. In fact, forgiveness is essential in all loving relationships. Two imperfect people joined together in anticipation for a lifelong commitment are bound to upset each other.
This collection of forgiveness quotes will inspire you to consider forgiving your spouse for mistakes that they make in the course of your marriage.
After all, you will need forgiveness at some point in your marriage too. Be humble and forgive. Be humble and ask for forgiveness. It goes both ways.
Some of these quotes are in the context of marriage. Other forgiveness quotes were said in other contexts. However, they are applicable in marriage. These forgiveness quotes are good for familial relationships and other social interactions which involve love and friendship.
Forgiveness in Marriage Quotes
- “A happy marriage is the union of two good forgivers.”—Robert Quillen
- “To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive untold peace and happiness.”—Robert Muller
- “In marriage, every day you love, and every day you forgive. It is an ongoing sacrament, love and forgiveness.”—Bill Moyers
- “Forgiveness is me giving up my right to hurt you for hurting me.”
- “If you do not practice empathy and forgiveness for your actions, it will be impossible to practice empathy with others.”—Laura Laskin
- “Once a woman has forgiven her man, she must not reheat his sins for breakfast.”—Marlene Dietrich
- “When a partner does make a mistake, it isn’t acceptable for the other partner to dwell on it and constantly remind the spouse of the mistake.”—Elijah Davidson
- “Loving someone to the threshold of marriage doesn’t mean the difficulties of life are suddenly going to disappear. You’re both going to do a lot of forgiving and overlooking each other’s faults over the years if you truly want a happy marriage.”—
- “Forgiveness is a funny thing. It warms the heart and cools the sting.”—William Arthur Ward
- “But they’re family, and you forgive them, even if they are human equivalent of hyenas. Because that’s what you do…forgive.”—Kristan Higgins
- “Without forgiveness life is governed by… an endless cycle of resentment and retaliation.”—Roberto Assagioli
- “It is very easy to forgive others for their mistakes; it takes more grit and gumption to forgive them for having witnessed your own.”—Jessamyn West
- “Don’t treasure up past wrongs, reprocessing them again and again. In a marriage relationship, festering is destructive; forgiving is divine.”—Dallin H. Oaks
- “We are not perfect, forgive others as you would want to be forgiven.”—Catherine Pulsifer
- “Forgiveness can make a marriage whole again.”—Elijah Davidson
- “You cannot love if you cannot forgive.”—
- “Most of us can forgive and forget; we just don’t want the other person to forget that we forgave.”—Ivern Ball
- “Never forget the three powerful resources you always have: love, prayer, and forgiveness.”—H. Jackson Brown
- “Love’s voice reverberates with forgiveness across the room of our heart”—
- “If we are to love others as we love ourselves, then we must learn to love the little self which so often needs to be forgiven for doing the things we do not want to do and saying the things we do not want to say.”—Rebecca Beard
- “If you can figure out how to choose happiness in your marriage daily, and stop sweating the small stuff, it’ll take ten years off your life.”—
- “It takes one person to forgive, it takes two people to be reunited.”—Lewis B. Smedes
- “There is no love without forgiveness and there is no forgiveness without love.”—Bryant H. McGill
- “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.”—Dale Carnegie
- “The hatred you’re carrying is a live coal in your heart. Far more damaging to yourself than to them.”—Lawana Blackwell
- “If we really want to love, we must learn how to forgive.”—Mother Teresa
- “Asking for forgiveness requires humility, vulnerability, and the acknowledgement of weakness and failure.”—Johann Christoph Arnold
- “In many families, there are hurt feelings and a reluctance to forgive. It doesn’t really matter what the issue was. It cannot and should not be left to injure. Blame keeps wounds open. Only forgiveness heals.”—Thomas S. Monson
- “Forgiveness is like faith. You have to keep reviving it.”—Mason Cooley
- “The greatest marriages are built on teamwork. Mutual respect, a healthy dose of admiration, and a never-ending portion of love and grace.”—Fawn Weaver
I hope you enjoyed reading these quotes about forgiveness in marriage. Kindly share more quotes on forgiveness and marriage that this list could have missed. Keep forgiving people you love.
Life is for living. Keep living. Don’t give up.
Check out other related articles:
Disclaimer: These quotes have been researched from online sources. The validity of the original source of the quote is not verified.